Finding the Extraordinary in Every Day Moments

It has been a month since I launched my new business and I am learning a great deal about myself as well as learning about being a business owner. Tasks such as establishing structure in an unstructured environment and having accountability partners have been crucial for my early beginnings. I will expound on those topics in a later post. Today, I want to talk about why I began my own business and how you can find the extraordinary in every day moments.
Are you enjoying your professional life? There are 24 hours in a day and 168 hours in a week. How much of that time are you doing exactly what you truly enjoy doing? I have always been a firm believer of encouraging others to operate in their gifts and their passion and I realized awhile ago that I was not using my gifts to their fullest potential.
You may be wondering why the title "Super Extra Ordinary Mom" and does she know that extra ordinary is actually spelled as one word? And how exactly does Super Extra Ordinary Mom tie in with HR consulting?   
Well, here’s the story. Years ago, I decided I needed a method to express what I was experiencing as a working mother. I wanted to write a book. Mommy guilt and the stress of building a career while managing a family were very real for me.  My children were giving me regular topics as material to share and discuss. Especially, my youngest daughter, Nina Sophia. (Nina Sophia is our spirited 4 year old who stretches my husband and me as parents). :-)  I was on a quest to find the extraordinary in every day moments. Therefore, in 2015 "My Life as a Super Extra Ordinary Mom" blog was born. I thank my colleague Jowanna Tillman for the recommendation of using the blog as a way to get my voice out there and heard.
From a professional perspective, throughout my career with each position that I took on, I felt as if there was something more and I realized that I couldn't force myself to fit into either a square peg or a round hole. For example, have you ever purchased an article of clothing and on the store rack it looked fantastic but then when you got it home it felt a little snug or it was altogether too big? Or better yet, if I may borrow the words of my instructor from the Bronner Business Institute who said recently, "I couldn't make myself small enough to fit into those roles." 
There were certainly aspects of every role that I enjoyed but I started thinking there's got to be something more. I am destined for something more. I asked, What is my purpose? Why am I here on this earth? My husband will tell you that we talked about this, to his chagrin, often. 
Of course I'm here to serve as a wife and a mother but I also felt a calling to do something else. And so I began thinking and thinking and thinking about starting my own business. I talked to people who had their own businesses. I watched webinar after webinar after webinar about starting out on my own. And I prayed about my purpose and timing. 
I recall one day I was standing in my corporate job’s office looking out the window, watching Atlanta traffic pass by. (If Atlanta traffic doesn't cause you to rethink your life, then I do not know what will!). I thought…. the time is now.
I have wanted to be a public speaker, author and business owner for quite some time. The minute I made the decision that it was time to pursue my dream it seemed as if the universe said, "FINALLY we have been waiting for you all this time to take the first step!"
Now don't get me wrong that first step was extremely scary. My husband and I had to weigh all of the costs. Some might call us crazy for putting it all on the line. Our faith, however, is bigger than our fear. Plus, it truly seems as if things have been falling into place since I made up my mind. Admittedly, I was someone who lived and operated in fear for a very long time. I finally decided to just do it. I also feel that deep down inside, we are already wildly successful.
The timing has extra significance because a year ago I was recovering from a double mastectomy. Guess what-I’ve still got some fight left in me.
I want to share some encouragement with you today if you are in a place in life where you are asking for more.
#1-Consider the costs. Of course I am talking about considering the costs to your family and finances when you are on the brink of making a life altering decision. But I am also talking about considering the costs if you do not do it. Will you have a sense of regret? Will you look back over your life and wonder, “What if?” A recent Gallup poll states 68% of American employees are disengaged at work. Meaning only 32% are involved in, enthusiastic about and committed to their work and workplace. That means 68% have mentally checked out. Are you one of those individuals? Make the decision today to make some changes.
#2-Secondly, I encourage you to Live Every Moment. What I mean is for you to be present. My cancer diagnosis brought me to my knees-literally and figuratively. When faced with challenges, I began asking myself what really matters? In the big scheme of things, how important is this issue? Being present also means having an attitude of gratitude. My colleague Monica McCoy challenges her clients to approach their day with an attitude of gratitude and to express thankfulness for at least three things. How is your mental being when you wake up? Live every moment.
#3-Lastly, Just Do It. We have all heard the sayings that “time flies” and “tomorrow is not promised.” This is never more true than it is today. Especially in light of recent social unrest and weather tragedies. Are you living your best life? Perhaps you are waiting to launch your business. Or waiting to visit the doctor for that full report. Or waiting to take that big trip overseas. Or maybe you’ve been sitting on that book idea for years. Just do it. I guarantee you once you have made the decision in your heart and begin to take active steps towards that goal, you invoke positive vibes and will begin to attract momentum.
In closing, I hope reading this entry has ignited a fire which will allow you to consider the costs, live every moment and to just do it. Ask yourself the question, "If money is not an object, what work would I do and would not care that I am not being compensated for doing it?" That is when life becomes extraordinary. 
Super Extra Ordinary Mom, LLC is a HR consultancy that focuses on leadership development and diversity and inclusion topics. Our signature presentation will help companies assess training needs and enable us to deliver customized training to address those needs. 
The next time you hear a colleague say “Gee, I wish I knew someone who could train on diversity and inclusion or on leadership development," think of Super Extra Ordinary Mom, LLC. 
My name is Shatanese Reese and I'm a super extraordinary mom!  I encourage you to find the extraordinary in every day moments.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Son, The Marine

Puzzle Pieces, A Lesson For Marriages

Entertaining Angels