Their Eyes Are Always Watching

Allow me to be transparent for a moment as I share an example of how I was not at my best as a parent.  Last week, while traveling to visit my parents, I allowed our oldest son to get in some driving practice by driving our SUV to our destination.  We quickly learned that traffic was going to be problematic on the interstate and that an alternate route was needed.   I was seated near my two youngest children and therefore navigated our route from the backseat guiding him off the interstate through the side streets of southwest Atlanta. 


Suddenly, a situation unfolded before our eyes.  I told my son to take a left to enter the on-ramp leading to I20 east.  Since we were attempting to take a left-hand turn, we proceeded cautiously towards the intersection. We could see that traffic was slowing to a crawl and wondered what was the delay?  Was there road construction or a terrible accident? 


As we approached, we discovered there were two cars blocking the on-ramp and one of the two cars had stalled.  There were a number of individuals who were vacating their cars in an attempt to offer assistance in pushing the car off the road.  One of these individuals was a woman.  While I am sure she thought she was offering assistance, she instead was adding to the chaos and confusion.  She became argumentative and began shouting and hurtling comments at cars who were now honking at the stalled car and attempting to speed by.


Drivers began coming from behind our vehicle to pass us and enter the on-ramp.  I told my son to proceed, albeit with caution.  As he delicately maneuvered our SUV closer to the ensuing chaos, I kept my eye on the back of the truck to ensure a smooth passing.  Just as he was sqeeking by, the woman reached out and slapped the rear of our car as if we were a horse!  I was instantly infuriated!  I turned around quickly assessing our situation and realized there was not much of anything I could do.  In an attempt to assert myself and not be outdone, I rolled down the window and yelled as loudly as I could, "DON'T HIT MY CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!"  Keep in mind, I was on the passenger's side of the vehicle while she was on the rear driver's side.  Truly effective, right?  #NOT. 


The kids were stunned.  Their faces were frozen with amazement, surprise and perhaps disappointment and mouths were hanging open.  My oldest daughter told my son to proceed as quickly as he could to the on-ramp and to disregard my requests for him to stop the car.  The younger kids were looking around as if to say, "What in the world just happened?!"  I was hot under the collar and quickly sent a text to my husband which stated, "I am going to jail today!"  Of course, he FaceTimed me immediately. 


I lost my temper as well as an opportunity to illustrate taking the higher road to our kids.  I allowed the situation to get the best of me and I responded out of anger.  As parents, we are living examples for our children and if we profess to have a relationship with Christ we are also live models of God's love.  As parents, we show our kids how to cope with life, resolve conflict and how to deescalate situations.  I was not successful on that day and was not proud of my reaction.  I realized, however, I could still use that situation as a teaching opportunity. 


As the kids described what happened to my husband, levity entered the situation as my angered screech was repeated several times, in what seemed like Minnie Mouse voices.  Ultimately, our discussion focused on how they would have handled the situation differently and how the way Mommy handled it was not the best course of action.  When it is all said and done and my time here is over, I hope my children learn not only from my best days, but also from my not so good days.  I also hope they see that God can still use my imperfection.  I am reminded of King David as well as others in the Bible who were fallible but still were used by God to accomplish mighty feats.  I thank God for His grace and mercy.    #GodIsNotThroughWithMeYet.




Shatanese Reese is a freelance blogger who lives in Atlanta, GA with her husband and their six children.  Shatanese enjoys walks on the beach and color-rich sunrises.  Her goal is to find inspiration in the every day happenings of life.  Check out Shatanese on YouTube



Comments

  1. Great story. I can relate because the mother bear comes out in me also when I don't have control. I'm learning also not to lose my chill in front of my daughter which is a challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Son, The Marine

Puzzle Pieces, A Lesson For Marriages

Entertaining Angels